Raja Ampat North
8 Days / 7 Nights from USD $2912
Raja Ampat North
8 Days / 7 Nights from USD $2912
Discover Raja Ampat North
While diving Raja Ampat North, you will be amazed at the graceful oceanic manta rays gliding effortlessly through the warm clear water. Children smile and dance as the sun sets over tranquil villages, the perfect segway into a balmy night dive under the island’s jetty, with an astonishing abundance of nocturnal marine life. These are the hall marks of diving Raja Ampat north.
The north is as much an amazing cultural experience, as it is a diving phenomenon. Take a trip to the outpost of Wayag ranger station. Here you will meet the local men who patrol the area down to Kawe. They make their home in the jungle behind a picture-perfect white sand beach. Here you can sit and watch swarms of Black Tip Reef Sharks circle your feet. On the other side of Wayag, Mt Pindito stands to watch over the manta nursery lagoon below.
- Prices are per diver based on occupancy in the chosen cabin
- All rates include taxes
- Please make sure you check the visa and/or immigration requirements for your nationality
- Trip cancellation insurance recommended
- Children above 12 y. o. are accepted aboard La Galigo. During the cruise, children remain under the responsibility of their parents. Parents are required to ensure that the children respect all safety procedures, listen to all safety briefings, and do not disturb the peace and quietness of the other passengers, or the effective management of the cruise.
- To partake in any scuba diving activity with La Galigo, you must hold a certification from a recognised scuba diving society such as SSI, CMAS, BSAC, PADI or similar. It is the client’s responsibility, as a certified diver, to respect and follow the guidelines given by the La Galigo guides and instructors, and to follow the regulations stipulated by their certification agency.
- Clients are solely responsible to provide a diving medical statement or physicians medical dated within the last 12 months, certification card and log book. Ignoring the directions given by the guides, or not presenting certification card, log book or valid medical paperwork may cause a limitation or disqualification from scuba diving during the trip. The divers accept their responsibility to be technically capable of participating in the activity of scuba diving and fully accept the risks associated. We reserve the right, for safety reasons, and at the discretion of the La Galigo guides, to refuse access to one / several / all dives if the diver does not have the necessary competence to participate safely.
- We require all divers to provide us with a copy of their diving insurance that includes medical evacuation
- Diver must wear a dive computer
- Maximum depth: 35 m
What are you waiting for?
Day 1 - Sorong/Waisa
Day 1 starts with your pickup from either your Hotel or the Airport. If we are collecting you from your Hotel it is generally around 07:30 – 08:00, if you are arriving on the day of departure, it is important that your arrival time is before 07:30. When we have collected you, we will head directly to the Ferry Port, where you will be met by a member of staff who will accompany you to Waisai. The ferry crossing is around two hours. Upon your arrival in Waisai, it is only short walk to transfer to La Galigo.
Once onboard you will be met by the Cruise Director and a welcome drink. After you have been shown to your rooms and unpacked your luggage, it’s time for a welcome briefing before we have some lunch, then you have some time to relax and soak up the amazing surroundings on route to our first dive of the day.
Day 2 - Piaynemo
Whilst in Penemu we will conduct 3 dives, allowing us time to trek the outlook of Bintang lagoon. Dive sites visited will depend on the conditions but we never miss a chance to dive the site made famous by Max Ammer, Melissa’s garden. The large colourful reef system at the top of the dive site, with its thousands of Anthias dodging predators is what gives Melissa’s garden its name. There is also and an opportunity to dive Kerou channel, which is located close to Leo’s reef, a fish breeding farm funded by Hollywood legend, Leonardo DiCaprio. Overnight we sail to the northernmost part of Raja Ampat, and what awaits is one of the most breathtaking sceneries in Indonesia.
Day 3 - Wayag Island
You awake in the morning cruising between limestone formations on the way to the now infamous lookout of Mt. Pindito. This small mountain has become synonymous with Raja Ampat, and the bay is also home to a Manta breeding station. The best time to hike this hill is early morning, before temperatures rise, but the rewards for climbing are well worth it. The beaches here are also pristine, with fine white sand and turquoise waters surrounding the limestone cliffs of the islands. After trekking, we will endeavor to dive either Way-out-Rock or Figure 8 Rock, both submerged pinnacles home to large pelagic fish, and the occasional passing Manta. While you have lunch, the boat will cruise to the eastern side of Wayag. Here is where we plan to dive the legendary dive site, Cathedral, which is renowned for its spectacular topography and swim throughs. Following the dive, we take a short trip to the Wayag Ranger station, which is also a Black Tip Reef Shark breeding area. Here we will hopefully get the chance to do some snorkeling with these baby sharks under the ranger jetty, and also conduct a night dive on the same stretch of reef.
Day 4 - Kawe & Aljui Bay
In Kawe Island we will do 3 dives. Dive sites visited here are very heavily dependent on day-to-day unpredictable conditions such as swell, but one of our favourite sites in the area is Changgo, located on the equator in the east of Kawe Island. Black Rock and Eagle Rock are both well known for their currents and their Manta populations, and we will dive these sites late morning and early afternoon. Around 4 pm, La Galigo will move into Aljui Bay, one of the world’s most spectacular bays to watch the sunset, and also do some great muck diving, at sites such as the Fuel Dock or the Pearl Farm Jetty.
Day 5 - Gam & Western Dampier Strait
We wake up just off the coast in Gam Island. There are some great dive sites around this area with vibrant fish covered reefs and plenty of stunning macro subjects. Two sites we regularly visit in Gam are Mayhem and Citrus Ridge. As we have lunch we will cruise down to the Western Dampier Strait, to a dive site named Manta Ridge, for an opportunity to dive with the Manta ray population often located here. In the late afternoon, we take a land tour onto the peaceful Arborek Island. The village itself is tranquil and surrounded by beautiful beaches. Arborek is also home to what we consider to be one of the best night dives in the world, Arborek Jetty, for a chance to find Walking Sharks, Blue-ringed octopus, and many other critters.
Day 6 - Central Dampier Strait
Day 6 is almost like a highlights reel of Raja Ampat, and in the morning we often visit Cape Kri, with its schools of Barracudas and Snappers, as well as passing Manta Rays and Sharks. After Kri, we take a visit to another world-class dive site, Blue magic, a submerged reef with Mantas and Giant Trevally nursing the currents, to Wobbegong sharks hiding under bommies. Our afternoon is often spent at either mikes point or Sardine, dependent on the currents in the area, but either dive site is memorable in its own right. The night is spent underneath Saonek Jetty, spotting critters in the seagrass
Day 7 - Eastern Dampier Strait
On the penultimate day of the trip, we will repeat one of the guests favourite dive sites from the day before, then move onto Mioskon, for a shallow dive to allow you to gas off in time for your flight. The afternoon can be spent snorkelling or relaxing on the beach whilst we prepare a beach BBQ, before setting course for Sorong around 11 am.
Day 8 - Disembark
From around 05:00 am La Galigo will be anchored in Sorong in preparation for you to catch your flight, or check in to your hotel. Guests are welcome to stay onboard until 11:00 am, whereupon we will assist you with transportation to your desired location.
*La Galigo does not guarantee this outlined itinerary, and itis to be considered as a rough guideline. Information compiled here is based on past trips we have conducted and includes common dive sites and routes we often visit. Weather and sea conditions in the area can be unpredictable, and La Galigo retains the right to alter an itinerary from advice of
the ship’s captain, cruise director, or owner for the safety of the vessel, it’s passenger and crew.